As part of the initiatives scheduled for 2009 to celebrate the 125th anniversary of its foundation, Bulgari has chosen to support the “Rewrite the Future” campaign of Save the Children, the largest independent international organisation for the defence and championing of children’s rights, present in over 100 countries around the world.
Through “Rewrite the Future” campaign Save the Children is committed to providing within 2010 quality education to 8 million children living in conflict-affected areas. Thanks to the campaign, up to now Save the Children has rebuilt schools, supplied school materials and protected children from abuse and exploitation, paving the way for a durable change in the life of almost 6 million children.
Bulgari has decided to make its own contribution to Save the Children with the objective of raising € 10 million by the end of 2009, of which € 1 million will be donated by Bulgari to the organisation in advance, while the remaining figure will be raised during the next year.
The symbol par excellence of Bulgari’s commitment alongside Save the Children – and a tribute to the silversmith origins of Sotirio Bulgari, the company’s founder – will be a silver ring specially created for the campaign and featuring the Save the Children logo engraved inside.
The ring will be on sale from 1 February to 31 December 2009 in all Bulgari stores throughout the world, in some selected department stores, and on Bulgari’s e-commerce website, active in the USA, at the price of €290 / $290 (including VAT) of which €50 / $60 will be donated to the campaign.
Besides the ring, to mark the occasion Bulgari will also develop a collection of 15 pieces of high jewellery and 8 high-end timepieces, of an estimated total value of € 3 million. It will be officially presented on 4 June 2009 in Rome, on occasion of the retrospective exhibition “Between Eternity and History”, hosted at the Palazzo delle Esposizioni, to celebrate the 125 years of the Bulgari brand.
This collection of jewels and watches will then be present at high-profile Bulgari events throughout the world – ultimately becoming the leading player of an auction that will be held on 7 December 2009 in New York and whose proceeds will be totally donated to Save the Children.
All the initiatives connected with the operation will be totally non-profit for the Bulgari Group.
The numerous celebrities of the world of films, show business, and music who, thus far, have decided to support the initiative include, among many others, Julianne Moore, Benicio Del Toro, Ben Stiller, Sally Field, Sting, Willem Dafoe, Rosario Fiorello, Gabriele Muccino, Jason Lewis, Andy Garcia, Valeria Golino, Fabrizio Ferri.
Francesco Trapani, Chief Executive Officer of the Bulgari Group, commented on the initiative: “For Bulgari, being part of history and at the same time being able to help change it by giving less fortunate people the possibility of a new future is the best possible way of celebrating its 125 years. I am therefore really delighted that the company is actively working on the success of the “Rewrite the Future” campaign – a project consistent with the commitment Bulgari has decided to make to initiatives aiding youth education throughout the world. I am also convinced that, thanks to the help of our customers and Save the Children supporters, we will succeed in achieving – and hopefully in exceeding – the ambitious target we have set ourselves.”
Charlotte Petri Gornitzka, Secretary General of the International Save the Children Alliance commented: “We are very pleased to announce this global partnership with Bulgari. Their commitment and support for education is one of the most valuable ways to make a difference to children’s lives in war afflicted countries.”
Bulgari is one of the global players on the luxury market. In 2007 the Group posted a turnover of 1,091.0 million Euro. Bulgari relies on a stores network in the most exclusive shopping areas in the world and on selected distributors. Bulgari has a product portfolio that ranges from jewels and watches to accessories and perfumes. The Group is controlled by the Bulgari family, holding about 52.0% of the share capital. The remaining 48.0% is floating on the Milan Stock Exchange.
Save the Children is the world’s largest independent organization for children, making a difference to children’s lives in over 120 countries. From emergency relief to long-term development, Save the Children helps children to achieve a happy, healthy and secure childhood. Save the Children listens to children, involves children and ensures their views are taken into account. Save the Children secures and protects children’s rights – to food, shelter, health care, education and freedom from violence, abuse and exploitation.